Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso has ordered a ban on all outdoor activities, such as dragon dances, street parties, stage shows, and parades, on Chinese or Lunar New Year on February 12 in light of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

(MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTO)

Domagoso on Thursday signed Executive Order No. 4, series of 2021, declaring the ban on outdoor activities on the said day. A liquor ban will also be enforced for the entire celebration of Chinese New Year.

In his order, the Manila mayor said there is a “compelling need for the city to cancel any and all activities to celebrate Chinese New Year” following reports of the emergence of the B.1.1.7 or the more contagious UK-variant of COVID-19 in the country.

Citing The New York Times, he also said China cancelled the Lunar New Year celebration “for millions of migrants.”

“The activities during the (Chinese) New Year celebration, if not cancelled, can be surely an easy medium of COVID-19 spread and transmission, thereby endangering the health, well-being and safety not only of residents but also their visitors who will join them in the celebration,” he said.

“There is therefore a compelling need for the city to cancel any and all activities to celebrate the Chinese New Year not only to avoid the fear envisioned above but also in order not to put in vain all initiatives the City had already undertaken the entire duration of this pandemic,” he added.

Also prohibited are the use of firecracker and pyrotechnic devices during the celebration to ensure the safety of the public.

Barangay officials and members of the police will be deployed to ensure the proper implementation of the executive order.


Source: Manila Bulletin (https://mb.com.ph/2021/01/29/manila-bans-all-outdoor-chinese-new-year-activities/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=manila-bans-all-outdoor-chinese-new-year-activities)